Warren Buffett’s success in the stock market using a common-sense approach is no secret. Nor is his enormous wealth he has accumulated through Berkshire Hathaway, the holding company of his middle-American companies, which he acquired in 1965 as a former textile and garment manufacturing company.
What are secret are his specific strategies to successful investing. But we can learn from Mr. Buffett by imitating 10 ways he openly does it, namely:
1. Simple logic does it. Anything that is used daily and entrenched in the economy is represented in the portfolio of Berkshire Hathaway. For instance, energy, retail, finance, utilities, insurance, manufacturing and railroads are industries which are essential to the ordinary consumer. More so with “grocery cart” brands which represent timeless needs and which Buffett translates into long-term, consistent values. Moreover, Berkshire Hathaway interests also include Duracell battery, GEICO insurance and Wells Fargo finance. For Buffett and his workers, if you use it often enough, why not own a part of it?
2. Character has real value. LouAnn Lofton, who wrote “Warren Buffett Invests like a Girl and Why You Should, Too”, says that Mr. Buffett invests only in companies whose management he likes and trusts. According to her, how the management treats its stakeholders and the public, in general, and how the public perceives the management as well, provide solid indicators of the excellent performance of the company. That company deserves an investor’s trust and investment.
3. Determine Core Value. Roy Ward, chief analyst of Cabot Heritage Corporation in Salem, Massachusetts, criticizes firms which often complicate their financial reports with one-time “extraordinary expenses”. Although you may not have the many analysts that Buffett has, Ward says that you can still detect the indicators of core value. She defines “core asset” as one which you would buy, be it a firm engaged in real estate or intellectual property. She advises the investor to monitor the “book value per share” of a company which represents the core value of the company compared to the current stock price.
4. Headlines are undependable. BAM Alliance director and author, Larry Swedroe, who wrote “Think, Act and Invest like Warren Buffett”, says that there is no lasting value in trusting what the financial headlines proclaim. He says it is better to walk a few steps ahead of the headlines. According to Swedroe, while it is difficult to predict what the market, the Federal Reserve and the government will do, any investor can tell that the government will act to stabilize the economy. Based on that general knowledge, the opportunities will come.
5. Learn fundamental performance metrics. Ward says that once you grasp the book value of an asset, determine how much the firm makes on its assets. If you are Buffett, you would want at least 20% return on the assets which eliminates so many companies from the picture, Ward adds. Likewise, monitor the trend lines, looking for firms that made 10% in the past and now makes 20%, as that indicates good performance. Why that is so is something you would want to know -- what Buffett is also interested in.
6. Be Patient. If you know of companies that fit Buffett’s targeted investments choices, keep your eyes on them, Ward advises, in order to see how they fare in the market and how their stock price is valued. If a firm consistently makes money but its stock price does not keep up with its book value, then you have a potential asset to buy and hold.
7. Opt for the long-haul. Lofton says that buying and holding eventually builds wealth although majority seek to gain over a short-term range. Buffett, according to Lofton, has his eyes on the everlasting results, which she describes as seemingly “lethargic or slothful”. She advises that for the rest of us, holding on for five years is enough. Statistics prove that it takes that long to complete a market cycle, she adds.
8. Monitor Buffett’s reports. In general, corporate annual reports are known for their slanted and toe-the-liner statements. Berkshire Hathaway reports, on the other hand, are simple and unpretentious. This is because Buffett tells his story in plain English, narrating what he and his team did, how they did it and why, keeping the reader interested.
9. Invest in index funds. In case the previous steps seem to require too much work, Buffett recommends buying index funds, according to Swedroe. This is because investing in index funds allows an investor to overtake majority of stocks and industries.
Get started with Frank Owens Limited Advisor Services.
Speak with a specialist who's experienced with helping high-net-worth clients.
17F, Gotenyama Trust Tower, 4-7-35, Kitashinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, 140-0001, Japan
Frank Owens Limited may modify, suspend, discontinue, or restrict the use and availability of any portion of this Site at any time, without notice or liability. Your use of this Site may be monitored by Frank Owens Limited and used for Frank Owens Limited's internal business purposes, without liability.
Limited license and restrictions on use
• Modify, copy, screen capture, distribute, forward, transmit, post, display, perform, reproduce, publish, broadcast, license, create derivative works from, transfer, sell, or exploit any reports, data, information, content, software, RSS and podcast feeds, products, services, or other materials on, generated by or obtained from this Site, whether through links or otherwise (collectively, "Materials");
• Redeliver any page, text, image, or Materials on this Site using "framing" or other technology;
• Engage in any conduct that could damage, disable, or overburden (i) this Site, (ii) any Materials or services provided through this Site, or (iii) any systems, networks, servers, or accounts related to this Site, including without limitation, using devices or software that provide repeated automated access to this Site, other than those made generally available by Frank Owens Limited;
Data, information, and content
The Materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only. Although Frank Owens Limited may provide data, information, and content relating to investment approaches and opportunities to buy or sell securities and/or mutual funds, you should not construe any such information or other content available through this Site as legal or tax advice. You alone will bear the sole responsibility of evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of any Materials on this Site before making any decisions based on such Materials. In exchange for using such Materials, you agree not to hold Frank Owens Limited or its third party information providers liable for any possible claim for damages arising from any decision you make based on the Materials made available to you through this Site. By providing access to other websites, neither Frank Owens Limited nor any of its affiliates is recommending the purchase or sale of the stock issued by any company, nor are they endorsing services provided by any website's sponsoring organization.
Copyright policy, notice, and claim information
All Materials on this Site, whether separate or compiled, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, audio clips, logos, buttons, images, digital downloads, data compilations, software, icons, html code and xml code, as well as all copyright, patent, trademark, trade dress, and other rights therein, are owned or licensed by Frank Owens Limited and its third party information providers, and are protected by international intellectual property laws.
Third party content
Data and other materials appearing on this Site that are provided by third parties are believed by Frank Owens Limited to be obtained from reliable sources, but Frank Owens Limited cannot guarantee and is not responsible for their accuracy, timeliness, completeness, or suitability for use. Frank Owens Limited is not responsible for and does not prepare, edit, or endorse the content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from any website owned or operated by a third party that is linked to this Site via hyperlink. The fact that Frank Owens Limited has provided a link to a third party's website does not constitute an implicit or explicit endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by Frank Owens Limited with respect to such website, its owners, providers, or services. You will use any such third party content at your own risk and you agree that Frank Owens Limited is not liable for any loss or damage that you may suffer by using third party websites or any content, advertising, products, or other materials in connection therewith.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
YOUR USE OF THIS SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, FRANK OWENS LIMITED AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND ANY THIRD PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ALL WARRANTIES REGARDING SECURITY, CURRENCY, CORRECTNESS, QUALITY, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, RELIABILITY, PERFORMANCE, TIMELINESS, OR CONTINUED AVAILABILITY, WITH RESPECT TO (I) THE SITE; (II) ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE; (III) USE OF THE SITE, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES; AND (IV) THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE SITE, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES.
FURTHER, FRANK OWENS LIMITED AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND ANY THIRD PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ANY DELAYS OR ERRORS IN THE TRANSMISSION OR DELIVERY OF ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS SITE.
EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BY LAW, NEITHER FRANK OWENS LIMITED NOR ITS THIRD PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS HAS ANY RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN THE MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITE OR TO SUPPLY CORRECTIONS, UPDATES, OR RELEASES FOR THE SAME.
TO THE EXTENT ANY JURISDICTION DOES NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
Liability and indemnity
ANY MATERIALS DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THIS SITE ARE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER EQUIPMENT, OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOAD.
NEITHER FRANK OWENS LIMITED NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, OR ANY THIRD PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, INCOME, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, OR DAMAGES CAUSED BY THEFT, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, SYSTEMS FAILURE, OR COMMUNICATIONS LINE FAILURE, OR THE COST OF PROCURING SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, CAUSED BY THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, MATERIALS, OR ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED HEREIN, OR ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THIS SITE, EVEN IF FRANK OWENS LIMITED HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURSIDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. TO THE EXTENT THAT A JURISDICTION DOES NOT PERMIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AS SET FORTH HEREIN, THE LIABILITY OF FRANK OWENS LIMITED AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND ANY THIRD PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS IS LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS.
Frank Owens Limited is in search of promising and talented people with innovative passion and energy to work with us at the frontline of the financial industry. If you consider yourself to possess what is required to join a dynamic and competitive team, come and apply today!
Motivated Account Executives
Frank Owens Limited delivers unequalled careers for applicants who can provide the needed track record in experience and positive results.
If you possess a degree in MBA, Frank Owens Limited can provide you dynamic challenges, designed to allow the innovative academic to reach new heights.
Research and Fraud Prevention Group
Our Tokyo main office employs our Research and Fraud Prevention department. Our organization’s goal is to promote best practices to assure our clients’ interests are safeguarded.
Our extensive capital sourcing services cover the following:
● Strategy Review and Planning Assistance: Evaluation of the projected participation to determine its acceptability by Australian investors and their Asset Advisors. Likewise, we will provide unbiased advice on the appropriate scheme vital to realize the capital sourcing and assure that the objectives of the transaction are optimized, together with selecting the proper marketing approach with the client.
● Documentation Preparation: Guidance in the creation of the package needed to assure the capital is enhanced viable, including the submission to investors, funding scheme, due-diligence program and private-placement agreement.
●Key Decision Marker Support: Determination and liaising with crucial Investor and Asset Advisors/Managers to secure their assistance at the start of the fund-sourcing process.
● Placement Service: Coordination and management of meetings and attendance of transactions with investors and their advisors. Likewise, we will meet and discuss with the prospective investors on their due diligence process and final resolution, to achieve proper and prompt feedback.
● Investor Communications: Upon completion of fund sourcing process, the provision of through collaboration with the Asset Advisors and Fund Investors and other essential players in the Australian Wholesale Investment Sector.
Frank Owens Limited holds a successful track record of sourcing funds for capitalizing businesses from investors in the wholesale sector for global and local non-conventional investment funds. Our current objective include expert world-class finance managers who offer global investment instruments in real estate, currency, private equity, hedge funds and bonds.
Frank Owens Limited provides a broad range of professional financial advice to entrepreneurs and business managers with respect to the most appropriate steps in acquisition, disposition and funds sourcing, based on the present market conditions.